Technology can enhance learning in so many ways. At Sturgeon Composite High School, we are pleased to offer technology-based programs to help enrich the educational experience for our students.
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
Google Apps for Education (GAFE) is a suite of productivity tools that enables students to to communicate, collaborate and demonstrate knowledge both inside and outside the classroom. Students have access to these tools 24 hours a day and in any location with internet access (tools are also available in offline mode). These tools allow students to create, share and edit files in real time, either independently or collaboratively, and save files in the cloud so they are readily available. Additionally, students can use GAFE tools on any device – laptop, tablet or iPad or smartphone.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Our school supports a personal device for every student to enrich their educational experience.
Personal devices are used to access resources, complete assignments and organize the student’s work and time. Activities may include researching information, producing documents, analyzing data, reading e-books, taking notes, scheduling events and demonstrating learning in new ways.
BYOD enriches and extends learning by:
- Allowing students to participate in their education anytime, anywhere
- Increasing student engagement
- Focusing on 21st Century learning, including critical and creative thinking, collaboration, communication, self-direction, global awareness and cultural literacy
- Enabling access to digital instructional materials
- Teaching digital citizenship